Monday 2 September 2013

John Clare and family

John is my Great Great Great Greatt grandfather on my grandmothers side. I recently came across the Clares whilst having a new look at the family tree. They caught my eye as they have an interesting story to tell.

John Clare born 1790 Stockport, Cheshire
In 1812 joined the Army with 84th Foot Reg.
Served from 1813 in the East Indies.
In 1820 he was made a Corporal.
He was described as being 5'4'', light brown hair, grey eyes and having an oval face.

At some point he married Ann (maiden name unknown) and had a daughter Elizabeth (GGG Grandmother) in 1826.
Elizabeth is recoreded being born at sea near the Island of St Helena, whilst her father was in the 69th Foot Reg.
Their second daughter Julia was born in Ireland 1833.

In the 1851 census he is recorded as a  Chelsie Pensioner.

I still have lots of research to do on John and his immediate family. But once again I have found another link to the military. At the same time I have my Gt x4 Grandfather also on Grandmothers side, but a whole other branch. serving from 1812 in the East Indies, I like to  think that maybe they once met....

No comments:

Post a Comment